What is Levitra Used for?
Levitra is used to treat Erectile Dysfunction (ED), also known as impotence. ED is a condition characterized by the inability to maintain an erection firm enough for sexual activity. It is one of the common sexual dysfunctions in men of all age groups; under the age 40 experiencing it more. As per the World Health Organization, over approximately 15% of men, each year are affected by ED. The causes for ED include:
- Insufficient blood flow in the penis.
- Damaged nerves in the penis.
- Stress or emotional disturbances
- Excessive alcohol consumption
- Lacking physical activity
- Chronic health conditions such as atherosclerosis, high blood pressure, diabetes and heart disease.
Sometimes, drugs used to treat other health conditions can have a negative impact on erection.
More About Levita
The generic name of Levitra is vardenafil hydrochloride. Vardenafil HCl is a selective inhibitor of enzyme phosphodiesterase type 5 (PDE5) which inhibits the activity of PDE5 and increases the blood flow into the penis. This helps men with ED keep an erection firm enough for sexual activity.
How Levitra Acts?
During sexual activity, the erection of the penis is initiated by the relaxation of smooth muscles, and nitric oxide that enables the production of cGMP is released into the penis. cGMP is mainly responsible for the blood flow into the penis and for the firm erection of the penis. The longer cGMP enzyme sustains during the sexual activity, the longer will be an erect penis. In men with ED, an enzyme phosphodiesterase type 5 (PDE5) destroys cGMP. Vardenafil hydrochloride that belongs to the class of PDE5 inhibitors, stops the activity of PDE5. This causes the erection to last longer. Levitra relaxes the smooth muscles present in the wall of blood vessels and increases the flow of blood to the penis for a longer time.
What is Recommended Dosage?
Levitra is available as orange, round, film-coated tablets in 2.5 mg, 5 mg, 10 mg, and 20 mg dosage. The medicine is taken orally by mouth, with or without food. The dosage recommended to a patient is based on the medical condition of the patient, the response to the dosage and other medications (if taking any, for other health conditions). The usual recommended dose is 10 mg. But this can be increased to a maximum of 20 mg or decreased to 5mg depending upon the response to the drug. The dose should be taken 30 to 60 minutes before the sexual activity.
Are There Any Side Effects?
The side effects include headache, flushing, rhinitis, dyspepsia, flu syndrome, sinusitis, dizziness, and nausea. In some cases, prolonged and painful erection, increased sensitivity to light, blurred vision, and hearing loss can also be observed.
What are the Precautions?
- Do not take Levitra with nitrate-based drugs (cardiac drugs). ED drugs are not safe to take with nitrates as the combination could result in low blood pressure.
- People with angina, high or low blood pressure, previous history of stroke or any heart diseases should not take Levitra, especially without medical supervision.
- Inform your medical history to the care provider or the doctor.
- Vardenafil HCl may increase the risk of QT prolongation (a condition that affects heart rhythm)
- This medicine is not recommended for use in pregnant women and breastfeeding women except when the doctor prescribes, after evaluating the risks and benefits associated with the drug.
- Do not take the drug if you are allergic to vardenafil or any other component of the drug.
- Do not use Levitra if you have a kidney problem or liver problem.
- Do not take this drug after a high-fat meal as the high-calorie diet delays the action of the drug.
- The drug should not be taken more than once within 24 hours of time.
- Do not consume excessive alcohol
Where is Levitra Available?
Levitra is a prescription medicine that is available in pharmacy stores, with a prescription. You can buy Levitra online from approved online pharmacies with the prescription provided by your doctor or health care provider, or obtain a prescription with online consultation. Order Levitra online at the best price availing the best deals. It saves you time and money.
The reviews obtained from this drug show that users are quite happy and satisfied with its effects.